Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In honor of St Patrick's Day...

I've had some requests for the Guinness Brownies I make, so I thought I'd go ahead and post the recipe on my blog for all to see.


Guinness Brownies

(recipe is originally from The Grand Rapids Press)



Ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 cup ultrafine sugar (I've used regular granulated sugar and noticed no difference)
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I've used salted butter and didn't notice a difference)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups Guinness stout
Confectioners' sugar for dusting


Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-inch square pan and set aside.
In an electric mixer, combine the eggs and ultrafine sugar.
Beat until light and fluffy. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat into the egg mixture.
Whisk in Guinness. *If I remember correctly, the batter will be thin, so don't worry if it is since the liquid will bake out in the oven*
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out almost clean. *I've found it usually takes longer than given time* Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. To serve dust the cake with confectioners' sugar and cut into squares. *Dusting is optional*

Makes 8-10 large servings.

These brownies are very fudgy and rich. The Guinness taste isn't too overpowering. I can't say these are my favorite brownies, but they're good for St. Patrick's Day. :)

**Editing in** When whisking in the Guinness, keep whisking until it stops being foamy and turns a dark chocolate color, that's when you know the beer has been incorporated well into the batter. For my oven, they took approximately 30-35 minutes to bake.

1 comment:

  1. {thud!} OM! I love guinesss and brownies! I'm gonna have to try this!

    ReplyDelete