Thursday, February 12, 2009

Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge #18

I'm at it again. I am participating in the Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge. Visit: http:/twilighttuesday.com for more info! Here is the challenge information issued by Julie:


The creative part of the challenge is to make a Valentine that could be given to one character from another in the Twilight world. With all of those couples, there should be enough to inspire us! Just to be clear — as much as many of us might want to gift Rob with multiple mushy Valentines — this particular challenge is a Twilight character thing rather than a Rob thing. However…I do have a some information for you on a “Rob thing” below — read on!

For the comment portion of the challenge — talk a bit about the couples in the Twilight world. Which couple’s story you might relate to or admire, which couple might not work for you (hey, imprinting on a baby theme - I’m looking at you!). Anything you like. I would bet that a lot of us love the stories because of the romantic elements — just elaborate on that a bit, and tell us what parts of that appealed to you.


I got a little overly motivated for this challenge. I kept running across good ideas from the story lines or just from the supplies I had on hand.

Here is my interpretation of the conversation hearts Jacob gave Bella on Valentine's Day in New Moon, p 202.


"Happy Valentine's Day," Jacob said, smiling, but ducking his head as he greeted me.

He held out a small, pink box, balancing it on his palm. Conversation hearts.

"Well, I feel like a schmuck," I mumbled. "Is today Valentine's Day?"

Jacob shook his head with mock sadness. "You can be so out of it sometimes. Yes, it is the fourteenth day of February. So are you going to be my Valentine? Since you didn't get me a fifty-cent box of candy, it's the least you can do."

I started to feel uncomfortable. The words were teasing, but only on the surface.

"What exactly does that entail?" I hedged.

"The usual--slave for life, that kind of thing."

"Oh, well, if that's all..." I took the candy.



Front of box:

From Semper Papercrafting


Inside of the 'box' -- I took a little liberty with how I phrased the quote on the heart:

From Semper Papercrafting


I created a second project for the challenge. I used the Twilight Tuesday Sketch Challenge for the design of the card, but it is a Valentine I think Alice would give Jasper. To me, Alice is very girly and I though this card with the tone-on-tone pink was a good representation of her character. On the heart, I used a quote from Alice in Eclipse, p. 301, where Jasper and Alice meet for the first time.


From Semper Papercrafting


Finally, what would this challenge be if I didn't make a card that Bella would give Edward for Valentine's Day. I kept it simple and clean and incorporated Bella's blue color that Edward loves.


From Semper Papercrafting


As for the couples in Twilight, the relationship that makes me the most squeamish is the one between Sam and Leah. My heart goes out to her and with her innermost thoughts being heard by the rest of the pack, it has to be difficult to remain strong in her situation. I don't care for the whole imprinting with Renesmee and Jacob and also with Quil and Claire -- it's just plain weird.

I do have two favorites with the couples in Twilight. I love the relationship between Bella and Edward, that's what really keeps me hooked on the series. Their connection and the passion between them is inspiring. And it doesn't hurt that Edward makes guys today look like complete slackers. Gotta love good old fashioned chivalry.

Speaking of being chivalrous, Jasper falls into that same vein. Jasper and Alice have a deep bond and they truly bring out the best in each other. Jasper wants nothing more than to be Alice's protector so that no harm comes to her, especially seen in Eclipse (p. 395) when Jasper is instructing the other how to fight against the newborn vampires. In exchange, Alice brings Jasper hope and has shown him a whole new world without having to kill humans (Eclipse p. 301-302).

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful job on all of these, Laura! I LOVE what you did with the sketch. Thank you so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the box of conversation hearts...great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little blog you have here!
    Love your projects!
    And the Twilight music as well!
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Kindly,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROCK ON twilighter! OME I completely love your projects, those candy hearts are incredible! How stinkin' clever of you! And your sketch card & Edward's valentines are beautiful! Semper Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW! Amazing! Stunning!
    How clever is that lil candy box!
    Love your take on the sketch!
    Beautiful work :)
    xo, margie

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!
    You so rocked on all of these!! I love them all!!

    You have done such an awesome job with these challenges! Thanks for playing with us!

    ReplyDelete